Ingredients for Soup:
4 quarts low-sodium beef broth
2 large onions, thinly sliced
6 slices of fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 pound sirloin tip, thinly sliced
2 8-oz. packages dried rice noodles
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup loosely packed fresh mint sprigs
1 cup loosely packed cilantro sprigs
3 fresh jalapeņo peppers, thinly sliced
2-3 lime wedges
Hot pepper sauce
Vietnamese fish sauce ("nuoc mam" or "nam pla" -- use sparingly, can be high in sodium)
1. In a large stockpot, add broth, onions, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, peppercorns and garlic. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Arrange garnish ingredients into separate plates and bowls at the table.
3. Soak rice noodles in hot water (do not boil) for 15 minutes or until softened then drain (do not rinse with cold water.) Place equal amounts of noodles in soup bowls and cover with raw beef slices.
4. Ladle hot broth over noodles and beef (the beef slices should cook or brown in the hot broth.)
5. Add garnish ingredients to your preference.
Makes 6-8 servings.
This recipe courtesy of Seattle & King County Department of Public Health.
UPDATED ON: 11/16/2004